Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yesterday I took my boxer outside. She was fine, went to the

Customer Question

Yesterday I took my boxer outside. She was fine, went to the grass, then came back onto the deck limping. I think she may have sprained or twisted her ankle. How can I treat her at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as long has she had no severe traumas, slips or falls and you are sure that she has no serious issues with this leg (ie dragging it, unable to put the foot down at all, leg instability, or bony crunching), then muscle strains, sprains, and tendon injuries would be or main concerns here. In regards ***** ***** you can do at home, to start, you can consider warm compressing the ankle. To make a safe warm compress at home, you can do so by filling a sock with uncooked rice, microwaving it for a few minutes, shaking it to distribute the heat and then apply to the sore limb as needed. Once she is a bit more settled and the warmth relaxes her muscle, you may also be able to massage the area.Further to this, you will need to strictly rest your gal. We do not want her climbing stairs, jumping on furniture or straining her leg any further. Literally, we want to keep her rested with just visits to the garden on her leash to do her business and back in. As well, in regard to further treatment options, we will be a wee bit limited at home since the use of most OTC human pain relief agents is not advisable (due to toxicity and stomach ulcer risks). Therefore, I will outline some safe supplements you can use but do want to warn you that if she is very sore, it would be best to have her vet dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox, etc). That way we can give good pain relief that won't risk doing more harm then good. But just to note that if you have no other option, then Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) would be the one OTC option we could consider as it is a mild pain relief that can be given with or after food to dogs in pain.For OTC treatment supports that you could consider starting at this point, we can start with glucosamine and chondroitin. While they tend to be a more long term option, they can still help here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets,pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals and it can may reduce some of her discomfort. Normally we give dogs300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. Further to this, another support is Omega 3 & 6 fish oils (EPA/DHA). These are actually a natural anti-inflammatory agent that people use to ease discomfort in inflamed muscles.So, these could be used at this stage as well. A proper daily dose for her size would be 20mg EPA/DHA per pound of her body weight. So, this too could be a consideration for her . Overall, your lass's signs do suggest an acute strain that is leading to this lameness. Therefore, I would advise the above nutritional supports while strict resting her +/- warm compressing her sore leg. If you do this and we just have a strain, we will hopefully see this settle for her But further to this, if she is very sore, or doesn't show improvement of her lameness over time, then we'd want to follow up with her vet to have this checked +/- xrayed and to have them dispense dog safe pain relief to ease her discomfort. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr.B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet