Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate half of my plastic sunglasses. What should

Customer Question

My dog just ate half of my plastic sunglasses. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did any of the edges look sharp?How long ago?Any paling of his gums?Does he have any belly pain if you press on the region?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I have not heard back, but as time is ticking for wee Olaf, I will leave my thoughts for your return.Now the problem with plastic is that it is not digestibleand can be sharp when broken and eaten. This means it can carry the risk ofboth blockage and gut trauma. Therefore this means we need to tread with great care here. First, in regards ***** ***** we do have a few options. To start, with recent ingestions of this nature, we can have him to his vet urgently. If we can get him there while the plastic is still in his stomach,this can be removed via use of the vet’s endoscope (a scope with a camera). And this can limit its potential to cause gut damage and prevent blockages in the intestines. Otherwise, if the item was already causing a blockage in the intestines, then surgery would be indicated to remove it. Otherwise, if scoping isn’t an option and this was chewed to bits, then you can consider giving him a "Vaseline sandwich" jus tnow. I know that this sounds odd, but to can be very helpful at limiting harm from items like this. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather and fold it in half. This can then be hand fed to him in pieces. The aim here is that the bread will coat the any pointy bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. After this, you can consider offering small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/whitefish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, do add a spoonful of canned pumpkin to this, as the fiber in will further encourage the plastic to be pushed through the GI. Finally, further to the above treatment options, we do need to monitor him closely for any adverse signs. Red flag signs of trouble with ingestion of items like this are any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, anorexia, lethargy, restlessness, straining to pass feces, or black feces. If we did see any of those, then we’d be worried of a possible obstruction and would require him to be seen urgently by her vet for an exam+/- xray to see where this has gotten caught. Overall, plastic can be quite dangerous for our dogs. Therefore, we need to be very careful here. If Olaf just ate this, you can have his vet scope it out before it causes trouble. Otherwise, we can consider the above with close monitoring to see if we can help him pass this. But any of those worrying signs and we' d need to have his vet involved urgently to help get this out of his gut before it can cause harm. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ via http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ciara Kubesh,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olaf. How is everything going?

nekovet