Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

How would you examine and treat a small dog or cat which had

How would you examine and treat a small dog or cat which had been involved in a car accident, was breathing, conscious and bleeding very slightly from the mouth?
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to my patient's mouth including thoracic and abdominal X-rays - the standard of care for hit-by-car dogs. If evidence of bleeding were seen in imaging, the extent of the bleeding would dictate either surgical intervention or "watchful waiting": a hematocrit (red blood cell count) would be performed and then rechecked at 2 hour intervals to better assess the extent of bleeding. Palliative care in the form of analgesics, bandaging, splinting, etc. is provided as needed until my patient is stabilized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.