Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

MY DOG IS HAVING ALOT OF TROUBLE IN GETTING UP I PICK HIM UP

Customer Question

MY DOG IS HAVING ALOT OF TROUBLE IN GETTING UP I PICK HIM UP AND HE STARTS TO CRY HE HAS SNAPPED AT ME ON ANUMBER OF OCCASSIONS WOULD YOU HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO WHAT IS WRONG HE IS ALSO VOMITING
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. One of the more common things we see in dogs causing difficulty rising and pain when picking them up, is back pain. This is often due to a disc herniation in the back. The most common presenting signs are: pain, reluctant to jump up or do stairs, arched back, yelping when picked up and rear leg weakness. The diagnosis is usually made after we palpate the spine. Treatment is typically with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl or Prednisone) and pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol, ect). We also must rest them for a good 1-2 weeks. Most dogs have a full recovery. When there is also paralysis, those dogs we send to a neurologist for surgical treatment. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.