Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 3 yo Boxer has been eating grass and throwing up

Customer Question

My 3 yo Boxer has been eating grass and throwing up for the past hour. He won't settle down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bruce is around 75-80 lbs. He has thrown up three times and is out in the yard right now eating grass. He won't stop! Worried he has bloat or something. He's an otherwise very healthy Boxer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Are you seeing distension of his belly?What is he bringing up in his vomit?Can he keep water down?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very disappointed I didn't get a response sooner. Anyway, he ended up throwing up what looked like white foam shortly after I sent in my question on here. I wiped his mouth with a towel and he came up to bed. He woke me up about 30 min ago to go outside. He ate a small amount of grass and urinated. He is asleep in bed with me now. I did give him two Bully stick bones yesterday. He also chewed up a cardboard box prior to that (which is why I gave him the bones).No distention in his belly
Gums are pink and moist
The first two times he vomited, it was his food and bones. Last time it was white foam (bile).
He didn't seems to have any reaction to my pressing on his belly
He hasn't tried to drink water however I did give him a small dog treat. He ate it and hasn't thrown up again.