petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Happy Monday, I'm thankful u r here:).I have a 17

Customer Question

Hello, Happy Monday, I'm thankful u r here:).
I have a 17 yr old 3 legged teacup poodle. He's not able to walk, but we do therapy in tub everyday.( he wants to walk again solo bad. Sometimes I hold him, n we " pretend" he's walking around the house! I love my dog ( maybe too much).
He's now getting sores ( akin to bed sores in humans). I have 2 huge sheepskin things that r so soft, and whenever he is wet ( after therapy) I dry him on med. heat blow drier. He doesn't have the energy to walk ( his twisted arthritis is preventing that). Only having 3 legs doesn't make it easier either:(.
We have him on low dose injectable medcam. (He was refusing the oral (and he was throwing it up too).
I do tegaderm and silva diene on his wounds. They heal, but come back quickly even with a full time nurse ( RNBSN) working on my NP at University of AZ. I'm on " sabbatical " to care for him.
He keeps kicking his legs ( I think trying to walk).
Sometimes I use the 3 M gentle tape n ouch less tape for covering n cushioning the lil leg joints and his feet ( which is where he gets the sores:(.
He is no longer able to control his positioning while evacuating:(.
He hates this because he's such a clean sweet n kind of " prissy)... If he were human he'd be categorized as obsessive compulsively clean!
He still eats well to keep him at his normal 3 lb. all meats puréed n so forth because he has only a few teeth left.
He drinks ( with much assistance as well).. About a cup of water a day. I can not leave his lil bowl for free drinking because he falls in it, I'm afraid he'll drown.
Recently there's been rapid decline in his vision as well.
He has another companion dog n lately she's been growling at him and tries to bite him. I give her equil ( but definitely different ) attention.
Enough of his history!
My question has to do with pain. He cries a sound sometimes that I know is pain cry ( wimperish).
He never used to do this.
Can I give the poor lil guy oxycodone? Like 1 mg ?
Occasionally I give him 20mg of neurontin.
However, it seems this combo is not working as well as it used to:(.
His immobility and total care n assistance has been about 3 mo. Now.
The docs in Malibu and the ones in Green valley think he's a miracle dog! I do pray a lot:).
I'm not able to euthanize him because I just can not. He still is fighting to live! And I'm not the only one in the family... Others simply don't believe in that either.
He ( Sassy) short 4 " Sasquatch , has been hiding his head under his blankets. And moans.
I have instruction of what to do when his lil spirit leaves us. ( I'm having him freeze dried I a fetal like position so he can peacefully rest in his favorite sheep skin bed.
That is 4 me. Sounds CRAZY, I know. I've held this lil guy more than I held my own kids. The hours😂the all night shifts.... Et al.
Also, are those " blister band aids " ok to use on his lil foot pads? One of his feet has 2 open (1mm) sores, perfectly round ... (Akin to bedsores on a human).
He also has a throat tumor ( diagnosed 7 months ago) by a new veterinarian. She wanted to euthanize him then ( right before Christmas). That was not an option 4 U.S.
He takes torbutrol for tracheal prolapse ( he's taken that 4 the last 5 years).
Is there anything ( other that euthanizing the lil guy) that u can think of to help with his end of life care? Please, anything that comes to U about his care, will be heard, loud n clear ( except euthanasia).
Best,
Lynn.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. I would not recommend oxycodone use in this little guy. If you want the benefit of a narcotic, perhaps tramadol or oral morphine can be prescribed, but in one so small, it would most likely need to be compounded. Also any narcotic's effect would be somewhat lessened by the torbutrol as they compete for the same pain receptor, but the torb has little to no pain relief. Gabapentin (neurotonin) can be useful in a multimodal approach along with a narcotic and a NSAID but 20 mg is about twice the dose he would need. Amantadine is another option. With any of these combinations however, he should be having periodic monitoring of vital organ function. On top of pain management with drugs, other beneficial options include nutricueticals (supplements). There is not a lot of science based research studies on these, but there is no doubt they help some dogs. The top things to consider are: Fish oil/omega-3's— The active ingredient of fish oil for humans and for dogs is EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). The dose recommendations are 180mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs body weight daily.There is a large range of safety and it doesn't have to be that amount exactly but this gives you some guidelines. You just want to make sure you are seeing those on the label as an ingredient and not just the words "fish oil" as these are the important part of the fish oil and not all fish oil capsules have them in it, especially the cheaper ones. Chondroprotective agents: Dasuquin made by Nutramax is one of the one's that shows promise to be a step above due to a unique combination of glucosamine and chondroitin as well as other components, but others like cosequin or adequan are helpful in some dogs. These products work to protect the joint by "lubricating the joint" and "cushioning" it in simple terms. Dasuquin for dogs Duralactin® is a patented dried milk protein from the milk of hyperimmunized cows. It’s action is to reduce inflammation of osteoarthritis and tissue damage that results because of it. It is available as an oral supplement. Here is a link with more information.DuralactinOne final option that we have employed with good results is acupuncture.As far as the bandaging or padding, it really is a "whatever works" to keep those sores covered and padded as well as clean. It is hard to bandage feet as well as other parts of the body. Blister bandaids are fine to try. Perhaps a memory foam pad will offer more cushion that the sheepskin. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z