Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our dog is 3 years old - a ***** ***** , female. She is

Customer Question

Our dog is 3 years old - a ***** ***** , female. She is normally quite playful and full of life.... yesterday and last night she was fine. Today she is lethargic and wobbling from side to side a bit ... she has stumbled a few times today... doesn't want to go outside... when she sits her front legs are placed out in front of her in a wide stance as if she needs stability. I watched her sitting and she was leaning to the left and looked like she was going too far, but she regained her balance... She seems to flinch a bit, seems like she has a balance issue, no appetite, no play in her. Normally after a bath she is crazy fun, running around full of excitement.... we just gave her a bath and she remains out of it.... this is troubling us.... Got any ideas, can you help us ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Dixie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Dixie over sooner rather than later. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she is lethargic and uncoordinated that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. A generalised infection which is also affecting the middle ear could present like this but so could just general weakness.I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. But you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible for example I have often seen dogs present like this when they have swallowed a toxin of some kind. Suffice it say that from your description this could be quite serious and in all probability there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis. In the meantime until you can get her to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and try and make sure she is taking fluids regularly.I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much ... Dixie is a real important member of our family, and my kids adore her.. they've been through a lot... me as well, had some hard times... Got some Questions: can I give her some ginger ? she has eaten some bits of unknown food when we were cleaning up yesterday.... bad food around the kitchen floor, around the trash can.... Also, how do I get her to drink water when she refuses a bowl of it that is presented to her ?Aside from Ginger, I was also thinking about giving her some Milk Thistle ... ?God forbid if it is some disease, but wouldn't an onset of disease produced symptoms take some time to develop and reveal themselves.... ? I mean she has been active and happy and athletic and unstoppable until today....
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further. While it is still unclear exactly what is going on I would hold back on the ginger and milk thistle for present in case this makes things worse, where bad food is concerned you would expect it to develop into a gastro-enteritis { vomiting and diarrhoea } I will give you an idea of some measures to take if this happens. 1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a tablespoon twice a day would be enough for a dog of your one's size.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. If she is not taking fluids herself then you should try to give it to her orally on the hour using a syringe or dropper of some kind if you have such available, otherwise you can slowly dribble fluids into her mouth using a tablespoon. As far as onset of symptoms go then this is very variable, some disease conditions can arise very quickly indeed as can symptoms related to toxins or ingestion of bad food. Regards,Dr Scott.Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dixie. How is everything going?