Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 1 year old springer broke her toe (compound fracture, outside

Customer Question

My 1 year old springer broke her toe (compound fracture, outside toe back foot) 2 weeks ago. Splinted for a week taking carprofen (just realized it's rimadyl which killed my last dog!!!) for pain and inflammation. Also started Zyrtec because I mentioned allergy symptoms.Wasn't eating much. One week later she has an infected bump on her chin. Dr. put her on clavamox. Eating even less..didn't know that was a sign of stomach upset. Stools were normal...no vomiting so I thought she was fine. Now on top of that, her toes sticking out from her bandage were rubbed raw from a boot put on for one night and is infected. Found out when I took her in for the large bump on same leg. Lymph node. Doc did fna....waiting for results tomorrow. Questions- how do I find out if Carprofen damaged liver (am I over-reacting?) and should we have specialist take blood work concerning infection/lymph node? Does the aspiration tell enough? Sorry so long. Hope you can help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Fist with regard to Rimadyl, most dogs do just fine on this drug. If you are concerned about her liver, then your veterinarian can easily perform a chemistry profile to check her liver values on lab work. If they are normal, then she is doing fine and no worries. The standard recommendation for carprofen/rimadyl is that is a dog is going to stay on this and be given this daily or regularly then after continuous use for 3 to 6 weeks, a liver profile should be run. If elevation is found (in comparison to "normal" values run before administration), then the medication is stopped and almost all dogs go back to normal without long term issues.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Second, with the enlarged lymph node, the needle aspiration is an excellent first step, and sounds like ti was sent out to the pathologist for interpretation which is absolutely necessary. This can tell us if we are contending with inflammation or if there is a cancer worry. If the lymph node enlarged is on the same leg as the broken toe(s) then this may be related inflammation. If cancer is found, then referral to an oncologist for consultation is the way to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so is anyone going to answer tonight?