Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Elbow callus that is starting to bleed. I took her to the vet

Customer Question

Elbow callus that is starting to bleed. I took her to the vet about a month ago and showed it to them and they told me not to worry about it unless it cause problems. At that time I spent 348 dollars for them to not treat it. I really don't want to go back if I can help it what can I do to help my baby?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to post my synopsis of elbow callus for you. You're going to be necessarily constrained by not speaking to Shelby's vet again but because Shelby was just seen, perhaps the prescription drugs I mention in my synopsis can be dispensed without another vet visit... "Callus occurs as a localized, hyperplastic skin reaction to trauma caused by pressure or friction. It's common in dogs with highest incidences noted in large and giant-breed dogs. Observation without treatment is appropriate for noninfected lesions. The cracking and bleeding, however, suggests that infection is present and so long-term systemic antibiotics (minimum 4-6 weeks) should be administered. Alternatively, topical dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) combined with enrofloxacin (to made a 10 mg/mL solution) could be applied every 12-72 hours until lesions resolve. Special attention should be taken to remove the "ingrown hairs" from the callus as these will eventually lead to furunculosis and infection. Scrub the hairs out frequently (every 2-7 days) using a cloth, brush, or sponge in the direction of hair growth. Over the counter Hebiclens (chlorhexidine) is a good antimicrobial solution to use for the scrubbing. Tape-strip the hairs using a very sticky tape product; typically, only the ingrown hairs are removable, leaving the healthy and active hairs intact. Bedding and other sleeping/resting areas should be padded, and padded bandages should be used to prevent trauma to the affected area. Moisturizers and antibiotic ointments (prescription mupirocin), over the counter 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel, or prescription salicylic acid/sodium lactate/urea gel should be applied to the affected area every 12-24 hours to soften the skin.Have Shelby's vet assist you in securing these products and showing you how to bandage the elbows. Once infection, cracking and bleeding are well-controlled this becomes a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect her quality of life." Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelby. How is everything going?