Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My pittbull has bad allergies and had a swollen eye 2 days

Customer Question

Hi my pittbull has bad allergies and had a swollen eye 2 days ago, the white part was swollen and I gave him Benadryl and it went away but now his 3rd eye is swollen and I am concerned and unable to take him to the vet without my boyfriend because her is dog and stranger aggressive.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His 3rd eyelid is not swollen just showing in 1 eye. He is acting normal and happy, I am wondering if his eyes are dry or if it will possibly go away on his own.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Are the eyes still red? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- How many milligrams of Benadryl are you giving and how often? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes his eyes are still slightly red, they were and are white when he 1st woke up and getting redder as the day progresses. He wakes up with white eyes every day and by the end of the day they are red.
He is 90 lbs and he gets 1 clarition in the morning around 9am and 1 benadrly in the night around 9pm
He does not have other symptoms just the itchy eyes, 3rd eye visible in 1 eye and redness. The white part of his eye was swollen 2 days ago but went down with the clarition. His eyes are not swollen now at all just the 3rd eye visable. He is acting normal and happy. Thanks!!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How many milligrams is the claritin and benadryl? 2- Were both medications prescribed by family vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure of the doses I apologize I am not home at the moment. They are not extra strength or anything so I believe they are the standard doses and they are not prescribed by a vet but I did take him to the vet 7\10\15 when my boyfriend was home and able to take him and the vet said that I could give him the 2 medications and also said i could use eye drops and ointment but and afraid to so so now with ymthe 3rd eye visible as it was nit visible when she seen him then
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see protrusion of the 3rd eyelid it can be either secondary to disorders affecting the eye itself or secondary to something else going on systemically. So, basically protrusion of the 3rd eyelid is an indication of another underlying problem. Can this be caused by allergies? Yes. I would recommend you keep him on one antihistamine instead of 2. I would keep him on Benadryl 1mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. If no improvement after 2-3 days follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
25 mg of benadrly 1x a day
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry friend, I am not set to make a live phone call. How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are tear drops safe to use?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are; it will not hurt him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will his 3rd eye go away on its own? His eyes are not red at the moment. They only get red at night when his allergies act up.