Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can a 12 pound dog be affected eating a rat that has eaten

Customer Question

Can a 12 pound dog be affected eating a rat that has eaten tomcat cubes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. Friend, if the rat died as a result of poisoning with Tomcat it is highly unlikely for the dog to become poison; relay toxicity is very rare. The other concern would be the actual rat or bones from the rat that could become obstructed. I would recommend you change the diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract. If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!