Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just answered you question and somehow lost your link or

Customer Question

I just answered you question and somehow lost your link or the correct way of responding.... but will type briefly my reply....I have witnessed between 15-20 seizures now, with no pattern, but this is the 2nd one in 2 months and she was outside playing,
so no idea how long this seizure was, but this time the saliva was ALOT, she licks her mouth constantly in the beginning and at the end of each seizure, she does stiffen up with body legs and sort of arches her back, but this does not happen each time.....
she seems do to better with me holding her and quietly talking....4 years ago one vet said to inject in her rectum a sedative to help her to come out of her seizures quicker, because they can last up to 20mins. And usually at least 15 mins. Because I have
timed them..... one vet said it could be something in her brain, but testing is expensive, and he did not sound to sure of anything which was another reason, why not following through on this idea........ just very worrisome and don't know what is the right
way to respond when she has this....... oh, she has in the past also past urine, when the seizure was very bad, but has not done this for a long time.... hope this helps........
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'll cut and paste my last reply into this conversation... "You're describing intra-rectal diazepam (Valium). It doesn't sound as if that's necessary because she has always come out of these seizures promptly. Yes, autonomic signs (drooling, vomiting) are consistent with partial seizures and they're most likely of an intracranial (within the skull) etiology such as idiopathic epilepsy as I mentioned above. 15-20 is quite a few seizures. I would consider an anticonvulsive drug such as phenobarbital or levetiracetam for her." Please continue our conversation if you wish. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.