Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I spilled massage oil on the floor and my Maltese licked some

Customer Question

I spilled massage oil on the floor and my Maltese licked some of it up. It was three days ago. She seems okay except she pants like crazy in the evenings especially at bedtime. It is summer in south Florida but she mostly stays in Ac at 78 degrees. Any thoughts ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I don't think the panting is related to the oil ingestion. Massage oils can cause vomiting, diarrhea and oral ulcers. We don't usually see much else in the way of systemic toxicity. It's just a local irritant to tissues. I think the panting is more due to the heat. Even in the AC at 78, that's pretty hot for an animal that cannot sweat. They only sweat from the mouth/ tongue and feet. This is why she's probably panting more. At this time of year, it's expected. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry Cowell,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lulu. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is doing fine. We've kept her in the Ac most of the time and the panting has eased up. Thank you for your prompt reply and follow up.