Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My thirteen year old yorkepoo il lethargic . She weighs 14

Customer Question

My thirteen year old yorkepoo il lethargic . She weighs 14 pounds. She seems to hav allergies. I have been giving her a small pinch of Mucinex for the mucus that she coughs up. Is she just old or is the heat here in Dallas the problem. She pees & poops outside and comes right back in. CAN YOU HELP ME?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.My greatest concern in this situation, is that an elderly small-breed dog with respiratory issues, may be showing signs of Congestive Heart Failure, which is a very serious situation requiring immediate medical care. Mucinex may not be helping her at all.Old age is not a disease, and is not really something to lean on when deciding whether or not to investigate or treat a medical condition. If finances are an issue, then of course with increased age there is a decreased likelihood that we're going to add years to a pet's life even with the best of treatment, but it doesn't mean there's no hope.Any respiratory difficulty will likely be worsened by heat and humidity, so minimizing exposure to that will be in Pansey's best interests.I would suggest a veterinary examination and chest x-rays as soon as reasonably possible.