Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have an old dog 16 who is kicking her PAWS constantly, I

Customer Question

I have an old dog 16 who is kicking her PAWS constantly, I suspect she is in pain. What do I do, no money for a vet right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that your older dog would seem to be uncomfortable. You do have a few over the counter options which may provide her some relief.1. I'm a huge fan of joint supplements so I'm glad that you've already started her on them (which I assume contain glucosamine and chondrotin).2. Also, fish oil supplements can be helpful since they have anti-inflammatory properties. Welactin and 3V Derm Caps are good veterinary products and are available on the internet.3. Another option would be Zeel which is a human combination homeopathic that can be used in conjunction with NSAID medications (which I'll mention below) and has a very low incidence of adverse effects Dose would be one tablet two to three times a day....I'd go with three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then drop back to twice a day for maintenance. It takes several weeks for these products to buildup in the system, so you might not see immediate results. But once started, these supplements should be continued for them to be effective; you wouldn't stop and start them, in other words, like you would drugs...but you may already know this.4 As long as she's not vomiting nor taking any steroid or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. Alternative therapies such as hydrotherapy, laser therapy, massage therapy and even acupuncture have been shown to be very useful for joint problems but finances may prohibit you from pursuing these options since they can be expensive. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sunshine. How is she doing? Deb