Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Berner has advanced stage lung & liver cancer. She is getting

Customer Question

My Berner has advanced stage lung & liver cancer. She is getting weaker, but continues 2 drink & eat -- mainly turkey hot dogs & rotisserie chicken. She has not pooped in 2 days. Could her liver cancer be causing this back-up & when shud we see the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor wee Maddie!
We would not really expect the liver cancer to cause constipation but if it is very large and compressing her intestines (which are non-rigid), then it could slow the progress of feces moving through her gut. Therefore, we can consider starting a bit of support at home to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity for her.
To do so, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of feces through the gut and out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can also administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).
Further to all of this, we can also try increasing the fiber in the diet. Especially if she is just eating meat without any fiber. To do so, you can try adding brown rice or whole wheat pasta to her chicken/hotdogs. If she will take that, then we can also try mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity.
Finally, wee need to make sure that she keeps drinking well. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink well for you.
Overall, if the mass is large, it is possible that it is compressing her gut. Therefore, we can try the above to help get things moving as they should. Of course, if she has any straining to go, any belly pain, or we don't see feces in the next 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her checked by her vet as she may need an enema.
Please take care & best wishes for Maddie,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thnx for your help. I'll try UR suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A wee bit of cat laxative did the trick. She didn't like the taste, but she behaves well, even sick 'cuz she's my service animal, so I just put it on her tongue. I'm a very happy "Mom" right now. I didn't like the idea of an enema given her current battle to just stay w/ me awhile longer. 😊
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! I am glad to hear that she has responded to it already. :) And that can be used as needed (they do make flavored ones that she may like better). In any case, I agree that its always better to avoid an enema if possible.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)