Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a little sheltie that barks non stop. We have tried

Customer Question

We have a little sheltie that barks non stop. We have tried the collars with no suscces. Do you know of any vets around the asheville nc area that do the surgery?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about this issue. I know it's frustrating. The debarking surgery is no longer performed in dogs. It has a high complication rate, it's pretty dangerous and it's considered one of those taboo elective surgeries. If anyone is still doing them, it's for extremely rare cases where everything else failed and it's either that or euthanasia. Even then, I don't know any vets personally (around the country) that has done this surgery in the past 5+ years. What you need to do, is get in touch with a veterinary behaviorist. This is their job- dealing with difficult behavior issues. They will be able to determine what her triggers are and teach you how to correct this behavior. I have no doubt that it'll be safer, financially sounder and overall better for her well being.Here is a site to find the behaviorist nearest to you:http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/ I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.