Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has a lump under her left front arm pit, it is

Customer Question

Hello, my dog has a lump under her left front arm pit, it is soft and doesn't appear to be painful.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sometimes, a soft lump can still be a benign cyst or a lipoma (fatty tumor).However, when a vet is not sure based on location, appearance and feel, they may recommend a simple fine needle aspirate test to get a better idea.Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed. So, I would just start with the exam and see what the vet has to say. It's possible any testing or surgery might not be necessary, but it wll depend on their exam. Good Luck!Dr. Andy