Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 month old mail australian labradoodle started hacking

Customer Question

My 9 month old mail australian labradoodle started hacking last night occasionally and tonight he is hacking even more. We were in the pool all day yesterday and not sure if that is why. He seems very uncomfortable. Is there anything I can give him tonight,
before taking him to the vet tomorrow? I have doggie ice cream and was thinking that might sooth his throat. Not sure what to do. :-(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Do you think he drank much pool water?
Is the cough harsh or soft?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?