Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My puppy is eight weeks and received his 2nd round of shots

Customer Question

My puppy is eight weeks and received his 2nd round of shots on Friday but today, Sunday, he woke up throwing up his food and yellow bile...now its clear liquid. He has no diarrhea but acts tired and sick. What could be wrong with him and what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Very sorry that Jessica is not feeling well.At this age, if vomiting, I really don't like taking any chances. So, I would advise a vet visit today for some supportive care. I am not so sure if this is a vaccine reaction or not. Typically, vomiting associated with vaccines would be within 24 hours of the shot, but not always. Other concerns could include stomach upset caused by food changes, new treats, etc...Another concern for causes could be intestinal parasites. Yes, even if no diarrhea and only vomiting. So, if not already done, make sure to do a fecal test:Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. To help settle the stomach you could give a 1/4 tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid, or a ½ tsp of pepto-bismol. But, I would encourage a vet visit sooner especially if getting worse. Good Luck!Dr. Andy