Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog starting having a hoarse sounding cough last night where

Customer Question

My dog starting having a hoarse sounding cough last night where he would cough up a lot of clear yellowish mucos after...it happens every one to two hours
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear that Dusty is having evidence of this cough! Do you know if he has been exposed to any new dogs in the past few weeks such as boarding, grooming, doggie daycare?The primary concern with a young healthy dog that develops a cough is kennel cough (CLICK HERE). Even if vaccinated against kennel cough, dogs can still develop symptoms just as when vaccinated for the flu vaccine we can still develop the flu. Often the signs are more mild and pass more swiftly but this would be my primary concernWith the fact he is producing mucus and/ or phlegm is concerning and would advise a veterinary exam to discuss antibiotics to prevent this from becoming more of a bronchitis or causing inflammation of the lungs. For now:- Steam of the shower to help him breath when he does develop the cough. This soothes the lungs- A small amount of honey on your finger every few hours also helps with the coughThings to monitor for that indicate need for a veterinary er today include:- Resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60 consistently- Gums are pale, blue/ purple and sticky- Rectal temperature >103.5- Reduced appetite- Productive cough produces any blood flecksI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dusty. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman