Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Too long to explain but my 14 yr old male shitzu , has bn shaking , shivering off n in for

Customer Question

Too long to explain but my 14 yr old male shitzu , has bn shaking , shivering off n in for last 7 hours . He has an elevated liver enzymes 490 , elevated white cells blood count . He's being treated w antibiotics firv2 weeks ( Covenia inj 80 mg was given 3 days ago , & next week Thursday 1 more ) then we have to repeat the bloodtests.
Why is he shivering ? Is it dangerous ? Can I wait till tomorw mondayvtobtk him to his dr?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Camden is having such difficulties and no one has assisted you yet todayWhen a dog is trembling it is a general symptom of malaise. I can give you some basic guidelines for him to monitor for and if noted then please have him seen today. Trembling can be an indication of pain (orthopedic, neurologic, abdominal, respiratory to name a few), fear, or anxiety. Very likely with his history it is pain relatedCLICK HERE for a pain assessment form which can be helpful in this scenario. If >2 then I would advise a veterinary er todayOther indications to recommend veterinary er: - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distressIf he is not showing these signs and is <2 on the pain assessment form then monitoring will be fine for a while but if it not subsiding and/ or progressing I would consider a veterinary er to hopefully resolve his discomfortPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today, I truly hope he is feeling better soon If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I hope Camden has settled down a bit today...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!