Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Matt! My dogbrought in a block of green rat poison.

Customer Question

Hi dr. Matt! My dogbrought in a block of green rat poison. My boyfriend said he started chewing it but not sure if any is ingested. I'm not with them as I'm out of town.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The green blocks contain either an anticoagulant or a neurotoxin (bromethalin). It's essential that you find out which poison was present in that block because they're treated differently. Inducing emesis was important but dosing with activated charcoal should follow emesis particularly in the event that bromethalin were ingested. Please let me know what you find out.