Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female shepherd has been leaking a clear fluid

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- From where is she leaking the fluid?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed it two days ago. Her Bulba area maybe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops Vulva
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is she leaking when sleeping or resting? 2- Is she on any medications? 3- Is she urinating more frequently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if it's when she's resting /sleeping. No answer to the other two questions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the fluid you are seeing is urine. When urine leaks in this manner it is called "urinary incontinence." The most common cause for urinary incontinence in female dogs is a weak urethral sphincter (structure that holds the urine in bladder). Treatment is a daily medication (proin) that acts directly on the sphincter making it stronger and preventing the incontinence. Other possible causes could be urinary infections, bladder stones, neurological, etc. Unfortunately, not much I can recommend for you to try at home. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian; your vet may run some test like a urinalysis and +/- xrays to rule in a weak urethral sphincter. Once she is started on the medication the episodes of incontinence or urine leakage should stop. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maja. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter