Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We believe our dog is in the final stages of a bacterial infection

Customer Question

We believe our dog is in the final stages of a bacterial infection referred to as lepto. We didn't know what was wrong. Now it appears to be too late. He isn't drinking or eating and can no longer use his back legs. What can we give him just for comfort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Leptospirosis is a very serious medical condition, and it is CONTAGIOUS to you (to people)! That means two things. First, treatment is possible so long as Junior is not already in end-stage kidney and liver failure (it responds to antibiotic therapy and intravenous fluid support), and he really must be housed somewhere in a hostpial that can deal with something this contagious.Confirmation of this infection requires a lab panel (leptospirosis 7-serovar titer), and if you think this is what he has, then I highly recommend you have your vet submit this ASAP (or an ER clinic) because you want to know for your own safety if he has this.I do not have good news for you as far as any over-the-counter at-home remedies. Nothing can be safely given to a dog with this problem for pain relief because the dog is usually in either or both liver and kidney failure. So, the only pain relief we can use are prescription drugs which will not adversely affect these organs. As well, these guys usually are very sick with vomiting, lethargy and profound nausea to the point it is tough to keep any oral medications down. So, they really must be treated in a hospital with and through an IV catheter. It may take days to weeks of in-hsopital therapy to get him through this but I have successfully treated many leptospirosis cases, if hospitalized. IF not hospitalized, his prognosis is very poor. In that case, if your vet confirmed this to be the problem, then get your vet to prescribe the best antibiotics to treat, focus on hydration (your vet can show you how to give subcutaneous fluids) and be very cautious about contracting this yourself (is spread through bodily fluids).I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.