petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have 10 yo female min. dachshund who has developed flat black sp

Customer Question

Hi, I have 10 yo female min. dachshund who has developed flat black spots on her stomach in the last month to month and a half. She also has a black discoloration under one "arm". This all started after her vaccinations last month. I had read it could be due to mites and have been trying to put witch hazel on the spots. This does not appear to have stopped the spread and some of the appear to be "flaking". She also had wart-like growth on her flank that appeared about the same time although it appears to be decreasing in size.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just added some pictures showing her abdomen in general and some close ups of the spots. She does not have fleas or ticks and these do not seem to bother her at all - no scratching or licking. Also a picture of the wart-like growth that is decreasing in size as these others seem to be increasing. the wart appeared first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot the wart pic. FYI- the vet has seen the wart and said it was just a wart and nothing to worry about. Let me know if you need more pics. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. The wart picture is somewhat blurry, but it does indeed look like just that. The lesions in the other picture look to be what is called a pyoderma or a bacterial skin infection. These can cause lesions as you describe as well as itch in some, but not all cases. The pigmentation changes are due to inflammation. They can be secondary to underlying allergies in dogs but can also occur unrelated to allergies. Dogs can be allergic to various things including environmental allergens, food ingredients and fleas. In young dogs especially, we also have to be concerned with the possibility of mange mites that live in the hair follicles being an underlying factor. Mange mites can only be identified with a skin scraping and microscopic exam.What she needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If there is an infection, she will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic. In cases where the sores are widespread as you describe, topical treatments are not usually effective and oral antibiotics are needed. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z