Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has an infected lymph node on the side of his neck.

Customer Question

my dog has an infected lymph node on the side of his neck. He is 14 years old. Just recovered from lyme disease. All his tests seem to be normal with the exception of white blood count is high. this large mass is quite solid and I can move it he has no pain. Should I have it removed? He also has an enlarged heart.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that Tinker is having so much difficulty lately!
May I ask has the lymph node been aspirated to determine it is in fact infection and not cancer? Is he on any antibiotics as a result of the enlarged lymph node and elevated white cell count?
Typically a lymph node is not the source of the infection but is draining it so if there is something going on with his teeth this might be the cause of the swollen lymph node. That or a possible salivary gland obstruction or lastly cancer related to that lymph node or spread from somewhere else causing it to swell to this size...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am checking in to see if you were able to view my responses yesterday in regards ***** ***** lymph node? I apologize if you are having difficulties with the site. Please let me know how I can assist you both...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tinker. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman