Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Sparky is a 13 year old male Aussie. He is in ok health, but

Customer Question

Sparky is a 13 year old male Aussie. He is in ok health, but has had benign tumor growths over the past few years. The tumors have been about the size of walnuts or smaller, they have not been growing but lately I am wondering if the ones, or the one in the around his penis maybe causing trouble. The past week or two his stomach seems bloated or swollen and I have noticed a yellowish discharge coming from his penis opening. I will clean it off but if I push in a little around the area the discharge comes out a bit more. Do you think the discharge could be cause for concern or could be related to his stomach being bloated? He has no symptoms but maybe sleeping a bit more. He is very aggressive at the vets and would need to be put out to be examined, as we did about a year ago due to a mucus problem in his nose. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I do not think I could correlate stomach bloating with the dermal mole-type masses (sebaceous adenomas) which are usually benign. If there is truly bloating, then this is a reason to have him sedated for a thorough exam that probably should include some lab testing and X-rays to really evaluate his abdomen. As for the prepucial discharge, if he is licking this area or having any change in urinary behavior, especially straining, then this is potentially an issue and may indicate either a prepucial/dermatological infection or true urinary tract infection. But this is most likely unrelated to abdominal bloating. Our top concerns when the abdomen seems distended is to discover if this is due to either fluid accumulating in the abdomen (most commonly occurs secondary to a tumor or liver failure but there are other causes) or an abdominal mass/tumor or due to weakening of the muscles as is commonly seen with Cushing's syndrome. The cushing's would be the absolute best case scenario because this is completely treatable. However, to diagnose this would require some testing and screening; the general lab profile can give your vet some clue if this is perhaps a top concern.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.