Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog who is normally very active and energetic was running

Customer Question

My dog who is normally very active and energetic was running outside and then became very tired and shaky, we got her home and she won't eat or drink anything and has been listless and still for 4 hours with a continued elevated heart rate and respiratory rate. At one point she vomited an immense amount of mostly fluid. We made some ORS and gave her about 9 oz through a straw because she wouldn't lift her head to drink. All of the vets offices in our town are closed for the weekend… Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.How warm was it where Petie was today?If you pull up the skin between her shoulders, and then let it go...does it snap right back into place?Are her gums pale?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
What is your zip code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her skin turgor is good but her gums are pale. it was very hot, we are in central MO zip code 65583
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
And how long was she outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20-30 minutes. she was running most of that time.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
THanks for the additional information. I just have one more question:How hot was it and what was the humidity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the 90's… pretty humid.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks for putting up with all my questions. I really appreciate it.So my biggest concern is that she's got heat exhaustion. With the temps that high, and high humidity, and her exercising for that amount of time, I absolutely think that's what we're dealing with.Unfortunately, this kind of heat stroke is sneaky...the dog can act mostly normal for a couple days, and then suddenly crashes...and since I don't want this to happen to your dog, I absolutely, positively have to recommend that you have her seen by an emergency vet tonight for IV fluids, blood testing and cardiac monitoring.I did some research and did find one about an hour or so from you:Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Southwest Missouri400 S. Glenstone AveSpringfield, MO 65804***-***-****I wish I could tell you to do something to treat her at home, but it's simply not possible with this kind of issue.I hope she does well.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Petie. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN