Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My boxer developed a mole looking protruding bump- about 1/3 inch on her bottom- near her

Customer Question

My boxer developed a mole looking protruding bump- about 1/3 inch on her bottom- near her vulva- it bleeds periodically. What should I do. She licks the area- other than this she seems perfectly fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. I'm sorry the expert you requested appears to be unavailable. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.The fact this mass is bleeding and bothering her are both indication that this needs to be evaluated by her veterinarian. I wish I had an easy at-home solution that will remedy this but my concern is that this is a mass/tumor that may really need to be removed. In the breed one of our top worries are mast cell tumors, which need to be removed ASAP. Alternatively, it could be something called a histocytoma, which in this area may need to be removed because they are so irritating, although benign. This is not a good area to do a wait-and-see approach because if a mass/tumor gets too large, then removal becomes difficult. Also bleeding masses are never an indication of something good, and it means it's probably highly irritating. But this is probably not an emergency unless it is profusely hemorrhaging, and could wait to be examined by her veterinarian on Monday. Until then, I recommend you do your best to keep her form licking this and further agitating it. You may need to go to the petstore to get an Elizabethan Collar or Buster collar to restrict her access. Or you could buy her diapers, although I find this less effective when there is something irritating (the dog will often chew through it).In the mean time, cleanse the area as needed to remove blood with hydrogen peroxide (do so gently so as not to agitate it further). And you may safely apply a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin several times daily. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey