Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How much mineral oil can I give my dog at approximately 70 pounds and how often. Dog ate

Customer Question

How much mineral oil can I give my dog at approximately 70 pounds and how often. Dog ate bottom half( knee to toe) of nylons. Dog started vomiting yesterday and hasn't poopoed since last night, which is unusual for her. Can I also give her kaopectate ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would not give mineral oil at all. It will not really help move any nylon forward and likely will exacerbate the severity of stomach upset. My other worry is that the nylon is now lodged in the intestinal tract. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. But, I would strongly recommend, at this point, you get to a vet for abdominal x-rays. With the vomiting already starting, there is a very real concern for obstruction. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claudette Beamon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexey. How is everything going?