Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 7year old westie who has always been very energetic has

Customer Question

Our 7year old westie who has always been very energetic has become lethargic and acts like it hurts him to move. He walks slowly and hasn't run or played in 3-4 days. Still is eating and drinking and nose is wet and cool. Has not vomited, coughed but keeps opening his mouth and acts like he's licking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Westie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It does sound like he is hurting somewhere. If he is not limping, then it may be his neck or his back. Is he reluctant to go up stairs, get onto furniture? Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is a good sign he is eating. If he were my own dog, I would start with a good physical exam. I would check for neck and back pain, which can be subtle; sometimes all I find is slight tension in the muscles along the back or neck. You could try pain medication, and see if that helps. The safest and most effective pain medications are by prescription. If he is eating, you could try baby aspirin, or low dose aspirin. You could try 1 baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, with food. If he vomits, do not give it again.