Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am dogsitting my son"s 8 year old American bulldog. He has

Customer Question

I am dogsitting my son"s 8 year old American bulldog. He has arthritis. He played a lot tonight, and is now in pain and limping. He is not sleeping well. Would it be ok to give him an Advil or Aleve?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very thankful that you asked before giving either of those medications; since they are both very dangerous and toxic to dogs (just to note, they can cause stomach ulcers, perforate stomachs, and damage kidneys). Instead, as long as he is not on any other medications for his joints at all, then you can give him a low dose of buffered aspirin (with or after a bit of food to avoid stomach upset). This can be given at a dose of 5 milligrams per pound of body weight every 12 hours.
As well, if he is sore on a particular leg, you can also warm compress +/- massage the area to help soothe it for him. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet