Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Please help my dog has a red swollen, ozzing, puss, coming

Customer Question

Please help my dog has a red swollen, ozzing, puss, coming from around butt,looks like a bite or other
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Maula is uncomfortable tonight with a red, swollen area oozing purulent debris near his anus. Is the draining area open and near his anus like the wound on the dog in the link below?http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/analgland2.jpgIf so this is likely secondary to an anal gland abscess.Anal glands are scent glands located just inside the rectum. They are normally expressed when dogs pass stool. If for some reason they aren't (not enough fiber in his diet or a plugged duct due to infection) they can abscess and rupture open through the skin next to the rectum.Tonight I recommend a warm compress on the area to encourage the infection to drain as that will make him feel better. Do not apply antibiotic ointment to the wound itself as that will simply seal in the infection. Antibiotic ointments are great for sealing out infections on raw tissue but they cannot penetrate deep enough to help already infected tissue. You can apply antibiotic ointment around the open wound to protect that skin.Tomorrow he should be seen by a veterinarian to have his glands expressed the rest of the way, and to start oral antibiotics.Best of luck with your pup, let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Loretta,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maula. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara