Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My yorkie has a bump under his eye that is the size of an

Customer Question

My yorkie has a bump under his eye that is the size of an plain m&m that grew to a peanut m&m size and bled when he scratched it open. It became flat but is now back to plain m&m size with clear liquid when squeezed. What do we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.Is the small, draining bump on his cheek on the area just below Chewbacca's eye? (see the pictures of the dogs in the links below)1) http://virtuavet.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pus-coming-out-a-hole-in-the-face.jpg2) http://www.dentistvet.com/images/FacialSwelling1.jpg If so the most likely cause of it is actually a premolar tooth root abscess that has ruptured through the skin. The roots of the upper premolar teeth end up just below the eye and if the tooth becomes infected the infection often travels through the soft tissue around the root and drains out through the face. As the infection worsens we can see quite a bit of swelling on the face. The tooth crown may look normal in the mouth, as it is the root that is infected, but sometimes we can see how the infection entered via a crack or chip fracture by looking at his teeth. He really needs to see his veterinarian for an examination and antibiotics and he will likely need his tooth extracted. This isn't an emergency as long as he is still eating and drinking well. They can put him on pain medication and anti-inflammatories as well. You can help him now by warm compressing the area to get the infection draining out. Most of their discomfort comes from the infection not draining which creates painful pressure. Do not put antibiotic ointment over the wound as that seals in infection but you can clean it with a mix of warm water and antibacterial soap after warm compressing it, and then apply antibacterial ointment around the wound to protect healthy skin around it.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Khaila,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewbacca. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara