How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Drew Your Own Question
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16844
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Drew is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 70 lb German Shepherd just ate approximately 1/4 pan of

Customer Question

My 70 lb German Shepherd just ate approximately 1/4 pan of very rich dark chocolate Ghirardelli brownies. Should I give her Pepto Bismol tablets? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you.Pepto Bismol is unfortunately not going to counteract the potential for chocolate toxicity, which is possibly a concern in this situation.A better option would be to induce vomiting.If veterinary attention is not available, at-home inducing of vomiting is usually done with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (in the brown bottle), 45mL which is 3 tablespoons, mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of milk to hide the taste a little.Typically, vomiting occurs within 10 minutes. If not, it can be repeated once.If vomiting does not occur, I'd suggest veterinary attention. If unavailable, you need to watch for signs of chocolate toxicity, which can include shaking, tremors, seizures, rapid heart beat, agitation, or weakness.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions