Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We have a lab mix and accidentally gave him an extra dose of

Customer Question

We have a lab mix and accidentally gave him an extra dose of 25mg of deramax. The Rx was for 1 tablet once per day. The first dose was given at 0800 and the second at 1730. Should we take him to an emergency vet to have his stomach pumped?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to assist you today. I can understand your concern about your dog but one additional dose isn't likely to cause him any issues. This wouldn't be considered a toxic dose for him by any means. Toxicity is usually seen at 10 times the recommended dose (or higher); one additional 25 mg tablet wouldn't come close to this amount of drug. He might develop diarrhea in 12-24 hours in which case a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem fairly quickly.You could also give him over the counter Pepcid AC which might help if he might feel a little nauseous. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight. If he doesn't appear nauseous, then I might feed him the aforementioned bland diet since we typically recommend that nsaids of this nature be given with food. I hope this helps to reassure you; he should be fine. Deb