Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Diskensia symptoms & treatment

Customer Question

Diskensia symptoms & treatment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is***** I hear to answer your question. I noticed that you are asking about Diskensia. Did you mean Dyskinesia symptoms and treatment?
If you meant Dyskinesia. It is a rare genetic defect that affects that respiratory system at a very young age. It affects the cilia (hair like structures) in the respiratory system that normally clear mucus out. This results in the trapping of mucus in the sinuses and the lungs. This leads to chronic infections in the sinuses and the lungs. Signs you may see include are yellow mucous discharge from the nose, an increased respiratory rate, increased respiratory effort, and sometimes coughing. Treatment may involve antibiotics for 2-4 weeks and in cases where pets have difficulty breathing oxygen therapy may be needed. Sometimes it helps to apply a steam treatment to help loosen up the mucus secretions and gently tap the chest to loosen up the mucus.
Unfortunately long term prognosis for this disease is poor due to recurrent infections. Many times the lung disease is too severe to respond to antibiotic therapy. Many dogs suffer from permanent lung damage