Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My dog had an reaction to honey bees stiging him like 100

Customer Question

My dog had an reaction to honey bees stiging him like 100 times I was told give him benadryl and he was given prednisone 20mg he has been on it now for 3 days I just reduced the dose to half tablet today he has heavy breathing last night I gave a bath and someone poured water on his face I'm so worried maybe water in his lungs or do u think it is just a side affect to the medication
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. The heavy breathing especially at night is almost always a reaction to the prednisone. Dogs can actually breath in a very large amount of water before it will negatively affect the lungs. If he was having problems with fluid in his lungs it would have a very wheezy, wet, raspy sound. Likely what you are seeing is rapid or heavy breathing as a side effect of the prednisone, and it will get less and less as the dose decreases. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan