Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog, Doxy mix, about 12 years has Cushings. Treatment is

Customer Question

My dog, Doxy mix, about 12 years has Cushings. Treatment is trilostane,30/10 mg daily which does some good.Read a u of Tenn article that melatonin may help. Any comments? Ed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Ed, we don't have any studies supporting the use of melatonin in cushingoid dogs most likely because researchers haven't been able to think of a mechanism for how melatonin would be helpful in that disease. Melatonin is non-toxic to dogs, however, and because it wouldn't be contraindicated for Chole, you can administer it at a dose of 3-12 mg/dog once or twice daily and observe for a positive response. Be sure to let Chole's vet know that you've begun doing this in case of the very rare likelihood of an adverse reaction.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.