Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My female cat Mia got her front paw stuck on a nail between

Customer Question

My female cat Mia got her front paw stuck on a nail between 2 walls it was under her paw between her pads. it was in about a half inch and when I pulled it out there wasn't much bleeding at all I cleaned it out with water and triple antibiotic ointment it happed late last night today its a little swollen she isn't acting like she in a lot of pain but isn't putting much pressure on it my concern is that is was a old rusty nail and don't want it to get infected should I wrap it with anything and it is safe to use peroxide and is there anything else I should do and can I give her anything for pain she is a year and a half and weighs a little over 5 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this injury to Mia's foot; I can just imagine how uncomfortable she must be! It's quite possible that she may need systemic antibiotics if the area has already become infected but the following would be my suggestions in the hopes that it hasn't: 1. I'd soak her foot in a warm Epsom salt bath for 5-10 minutes twice a day.2. Peroxide has been shown to retard healing so I'd discontinue its use; instead, I'd use dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).3. Then, after you dry the foot, I'd apply antibiotic ointment, taking care not to let her ingest it since cats can be quite sensitive to these medications.4. I wouldn't wrap the foot but leave it open to heal.5. Unfortunately, over the counter pain medications are quite limited when it comes to cats since they can be quite toxic to this species (unlike dogs). I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting anything since more harm might be done. I hope this helps and that you will be able to deal with her wound at home. It's certainly possible that you can since cats tend to be quite phenomenal healers. I'd expect her to be on her way to healing within just a few days with significant improvement by one week.But, if the foot remains swollen or you start to see pus from the hole, then a vet visit may be prudent. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Mia. How is her wound? Deb