How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a scented candle yesterday. He puked a couple of times yes

Customer Question

My dog ate a scented candle yesterday. He puked a couple of times yesterday and his dinner last night. He passed the candle in feces last night and this morning in very small pieces. Puked again this morning (breakfast) and watery pukes after that. He is accepting both food and water. He wags tail when I engage with him, but it's clear he's under the weather. Urine is yellow, def a bit dehydrated. I am trying to understand if I need to bring him into the vet. I don't want to bring him in pay $200 just to be told it will pass. I can't imagine there is a blockage as I've seen two feces with lots of small candle pieces. He ate a similar candle a few weeks ago, but with no puking.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
You noted that he has accepted water/food? Can he keep any of it down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?