Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My Golden Doodle has just been diagnosed with pyloric thickening

Customer Question

My Golden Doodle has just been diagnosed with pyloric thickening with partial pyloric outflow obstruction. The vet injected him with dexamethasone and he seems to be doing better. How long will it be until I know if this regime is working on the pyloric thickening
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. We are already 1/2 way down the road to see if this is working. Generally dexamethasone takes effect in a few hours and you have already noticed improvement. This is primarily how we determine if the dexamethasone is working... the symptoms improve. Dexamethasone is very short acting however so the real test will be how long he feels better. If he feels better more than a day or two the treatment is a success, if he continues to return to his abnormal symptoms then he is severely irritated and needs either a longer acting medication or another look at the diagnosis. However it sounds like it's working already which is exactly what we want to see. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan