Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a tumor in her mouth at the pallet, we are awaiting

Customer Question

My dog has a tumor in her mouth at the pallet, we are awaiting treatment through radiation. She is currently on steriods. Her tongue is very deep red in color, is this a symptom of the tumor growth or a side effect from the steroid.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps neither. Such a deep red indicates oxygen-rich blood as seen more readily in a dehydrated (more concentrated blood) or hypertensive patient. Glossitis - inflammation of the tongue - is unusual in dogs and would be expected to affect a part rather than the entire tongue. Steroids can cause peripheral "flushing" (blushing) but this is more apparent in the skin than the tongue. I don't believe that a palatal tumor would affect the tongue in that manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.