petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Having accidents in home after being potty trained

Customer Question

having accidents in home after being potty trained
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both times he peed on the bed during the night and both times he was let out before bedtime and once during the night I am wondering if this is a behavior issue because I am at work, and what can I do to stop it?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
Have you had him examined by your vet for this yet or had a urinalysis performed?
Did you housetrain him as a puppy? If so, was he crate trained?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not checked by vet yet. He is due to go in for his shots next week. He is house trained and does well except for the two bed wetting episodes. He was crate trained but has not been in a crate for about the last five to six months and again does well out in the house alone. He does not like having to go outside in the rain but that was not an issue last night.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I think that until you have a urinalysis performed, we cannot rule out a behavior problem or a medical problem. It could just as easily be either. Once a urine sample is checked (I would make sure it is cultured to see if bacteria are present as well), if it is normal and negative for bacteria, then you can focus on correcting a behavior problem. In the meantime, try to pay attention to his drinking and urinating habits to see if you note anything out of the norm that you can report to your vet next week. Since he is already crate trained, it may be a good idea to use the crate, at least at night until we have the urine checked to avoid any further accidents. If the problem is found to be behavioral, I would go back to using the crate more often and using positive reward for the desired behavior of going outside, much like you did when you were training him as a pup. This retraining does not usually take as long as the first time. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z