Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My Chihuahua,Shitzu mix is 11 yrs old and over the past few

Customer Question

my Chihuahua,Shitzu mix is 11 yrs old and over the past few days has been having runny stool and has been throwing up as well, this morning we noticed blood in her stool and another area on the floor with a two inch square of blood, I suspect it is throw up because it is a puddle and no stool in it. Thanks ! Sonny
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. That blood is more likely diarrhea. When there is colitis (inflammation of the colon), eventually it will look red and watery like you are seeing. The best treatment here would be symptomatic care- antibiotics for the diarrhea, anti-nausea meds for the vomiting and probably some fluids to help rehydrate her. They may want to do some bloodwork to make sure the organ function is ok. Most cases are just run of the mill gastroenteritis and symptomatic care will get them back to normal within 2-3 days. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks we will take her in this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?