Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has started rubbing his on the carpet, and I have

Customer Question

My dog has started rubbing his butt on the carpet, and I have found little black worms have come out of his anal area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.There are usually not any overt intestinal worms other than roundworms or perhaps hookworms that you would see from the anus/stool. So, this makes me concerned your dog has maggots infestation, which is an emergency and needs to be treated immediately (maggots are highly destructive of local tissue; and this would also indicate there would be an infection or sore in the hind end that attracted the fly that laid the eggs to begin with). All of these issues will require the help of your veterinarian to clear, if they are what is going on. There are not any good nonprescription remedies I can recommend for that.The best next step for you is to have your dog examined by his veterinarian, have his anal sacs expressed to look for these worms and a stool check if nothing overt is discovered. That should narrow down the problem for you and then put your vet on the right track to prescribing appropriate therapy.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chihuahua. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey