petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 4 yr old dog woke me in the night to go outside on the deck

Customer Question

my 4 yr old dog woke me in the night to go outside on the deck (not uncommon for her) -- she came back in from not leaving the deck and I immediately smelled something very bad.
Her mouth seems to be foaming a little and I hear a rhythmic sound in her mouth or throat.
when I forced her mouth opened it smells awful and there is a little dark residue.
I let her back out and she rubbed herself all over some tall grasses in our hard as if getting rid of a smell.
She had her rabies shot about 10 days ago with no reactions. also an annual physical with bloodwork came back healthy.
ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Have you ever smelled skunk, and do you think that is what you may be smelling?
It is possible there was a skunk out there and she got sprayed in the face.
How is she doing today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the animal hospital last night and they said she was most certainly sprayed in the face. The skunk vapor in the air liquified in her nose which caused her mouth to foam and her saliva to try to expel the irritant.
I did a homemade skunk wash of 1 Qt hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a couple teaspoons of hand soap and let it sit on her in the bathtub. I did this twice last night and again today.
She mostly smells better with the exception being her snout. Poor thing - must smell awful from inside!
I think we are past the worst but any additional advice would be appreciated.
Our house still smells but windows are open and bowls of white vinegar and baking soda abound.
Thank you!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Ugh.....That is what I was worried about. Yes, full force that spray is very pungent and will cause dogs to salivate and can even affect their eyes if it gets on the eye tissue itself.There is really not much more that you can do other than bathing. It will wear off in time, but whenever she is wet, you will have faint smells return for months. If she is willing, you could try a rinse out of her mouth with water, but most dogs are not too open to allowing that and there is a risk of her aspirating it, so better to let it wear off in there as well. See if you can entice her to drink by offering crushed ice. I am happy to hear it was nothing more serious, but these skunk sprays are hard on everyone in the house. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you, unless you have any further questions.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z