Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I had my puppy in 2nd set of shots. It's been 6 days

Customer Question

I had my puppy in for her 2nd set of shots. It's been 6 days and she isn't acting normal. She won't drink, acts tired, shakes and shivers not as social. Do I need to being her in
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now I am quite concerned about Harley. Since this started so soon after her puppy shots, we have to be concerned that her immune system is being bombarded. Often if puppies are brewing a subclincal infection and then we vaccinate on top of that, we can end up distracting their immune system such that that original agent is able to gain a foothold and cause them to feel unwell. And I would say that if we have been seeing this for 6 days and especially if she is not drinking, then we do need to get her vet involved before she ends up dehydrated.
Otherwise, in the meantime, I would advise checking her hydration just now to make sure she is not becoming dehydrated. To do so, there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html), If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then those are red flags that we want to have your wee one seen by the vet before this gets any further out of control.
And just to keep her going until she is seen, as long as she has no vomiting, you can offer wet food (since its 35% water) +/- syringe unflavored Pedialyte or water into her. That way we can and reduce the risk of dehydration for her. Furthermore, if you did need to syringe fluids, her daily requirement will be ~48ml per kilogram of her body weight. So, we'd want to aim for that if we are providing oral fluid support. And of course, if she were vomiting or to vomit, we'd have to stop oral fluid support and get her vet to administer anti-nausea medication for her.
Overall, I am concerned about poor wee Harley. And if she has been drinking poorly over the past near week, we need to check her hydration and think about a check with the vet to treat this for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.