Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has just been in a dog fight with another pet who has

Customer Question

My dog has just been in a dog fight with another pet who has been hurt quite badly and is at the vets now.. My dogs eyes are very red and blood shot? She seems well in herself.. Her tummy seems a bit bigger than usual but im just worried that in getting her off the smaller dog my friend might have injured her in some way :/
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And whether there's anything I should do :/ vets wise
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry about the long wait. It may be a little late, but I would recommend 2 things here. The first is a couple x-rays of the chest and abdomen. This is to rule out trauma to the lungs and diaphragm. I would also do a quick ultrasound of the abdomen. This is to look for free fluid in the abdomen. If there if free fluid in the abdomen, then we worry about internal bleeding. If those tests are normal, then you rule out the life threatening internal injuries. The red eyes are secondary to stress. Stress alone can lead to scleral injection where the whites of the eyes are red or blood shot. This will go away on it's own over 1-2 weeks. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.